According to Converse Ordinance, all contractors are required to have current registration with the City of Converse, Texas prior to the issuance of any building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical or other type of permit(s). The general contractor of the job site shall be responsible for ensuring that the license is displayed in the job site trailer or other approved location. At a minimum, a black and white copy of the license must be produced immediately upon request by any City of Converse official or resident.
City of Converse Contractor's Registration License
Licenses are issued for the current year and are valid for one year. Licenses that are not renewed within thirty (30) days of expiration are void and may only be renewed in accordance with city and state law.
In order to obtain a Contractor's License, the following items must be submitted:
- Contractor's License Application (available for download under Forms)
- Provide a copy of the Master Trade license held by your employees and your company.
- Provide a Surety bond (General Contractor only requirement) and Liability Insurance (Trade Contractors only)
- Registration fees:
- Initial registration = $75 for General Contractor; $15 for Trade Contractors
- Yearly renewal = $50 for General Contractor; $15 for Trade Contractors
Warning About Unlicensed Contractors
Homeowners are warned against securing a permit to have work performed by an unlicensed contractor. This makes the homeowner responsible for any accident or damage that may occur, and the City of Converse has no way to ensure unlicensed contractors will complete the job. Contractors are required to secure bonds. In the event they fail to perform the work according to code, the City of Converse may file a claim against the amount of the bond. It is in the best interest of the homeowner to require the person or persons performing the work to be licensed and to secure the permit.
For More Information
For more information about contractor licensing, please contact the Building Department at (210) 658-8285.